I recently chanced upon this exciting tumblr page that goes by the name of I need feminism because…. (http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/who+needs+feminism) Folks of all gender identities pose with placards telling why the need feminism.I loved the idea and came up with some of my own reasons….
1) I need feminism because I am tired of women putting other women down, of women joining men in slut shaming other women….
2) I need feminism because I am tired of Assholes thinking that my body is for their viewing pleasure and who think that women want to be stared at and complimented.
3) I need feminism because I am tired of living in a culture where women constantly judge other women and the choices these women make.
4) I need feminism because I want my daughter, the one I don’t have yet, to live in an equal world. To live in a world that does not judge her and lets her be herself. I want her to have hope and optimism and be herself
5) I need feminism because I want to be able to step out of my house without thinking what I am wearing and not feel guilty if some asshole tries to grope me…
6) I need feminism because I am proud to be a woman
7) I need feminism because I grew up in a family that honored and respected women and womenhood. Where education for women was not a privilege but a basic necessity…
8) I need feminism because I am tired of men talking about women and their issues….
9) I need feminism because I am tired of men telling women that they should “stand up for themselves” rather than telling other men to stop being abusive.
10) I need feminism because I am heartbroken that other women, especially my urban educated and privileged sisters, don’t care for their other sisters who fight each day of their life. Rather they say “if I can do it, why cannot you!”